Our Library System is live!
Library Services are very excited to announce that our new Library system is now live! Both Summon and the Library Catalogue have been replaced with a system called LibrarySearch – it has all the functionality (and more) of both those systems but in a single, simple interface.
Summon is still currently working so this is more of a gradual switch over than a sudden switch off. We’re in a transitional phase right now where Summon and the Library catalogue and all of our associated links, support pages and guidance are being replaced. This should be a smooth process with minimal disruption to our staff and students. But, if you do have any concerns or encounter any problems, please get in touch.
More about LibrarySearch
You can search all of our print books and journals, games and DVDs, eBooks and online journal articles, conference proceedings, databases* and much more from a single, simple interface!
*There are a few of specialist databases which we recommend searching separately. What you are and are not searching is clearly marked on the LibrarySearch home page.
LibrarySearch is very similar to Summon with its simple keyword search and refining via facets and filters. However, it also provides added features and functionality to make the user experience even easier. LibrarySearch is intuitive to use, is fully mobile-optimised so can be viewed on any device, and provides enriched discovery with features such as recommendations and citation trails.
Key points to Note:
- Simple interface – LibrarySearch is the single place to go to search for physical and online content, renew your loans, pay fines, place requests and more. (It is necessary to log-in to LibrarySearch using your network username and password before you start searching. This provides streamlined access and enhanced functionality)
- Increased functionality – LibrarySearch allows you to discover and view online content without leaving the interface. Tabs provide links to various services including placing requests via Interlibrary Loan (some fees apply) and viewing citations via Web of Science and Scopus.
- Auto-renewals – If there are no requests on items you’ve borrowed, the system will automatically renew these for you as if by magic! Normal loans (28 days) and weekly loans can auto-renew twice and Overnight loans can auto-renew once.
- Overnight loans – Short Loans have been re-vamped as Overnight Loans. These high-demand items can be booked in advance, can be auto-renewed once (providing there are no other bookings) and have a reduced fine rate of 50p per hour.
- Increased borrowing – Postgraduate students and researchers can now borrow up to 20 items.
- RefWorks – You will still be able to export citations directly into RefWorks via Saved Items/My Account in LibrarySearch (switching from Summon to LibrarySearch has no impact on your existing RefWorks folders)
- No loss of access – You will still have access to all content you do currently. Individual collections and databases should still be accessed via your Subject Guides.
- Help and Support – there’s a handy help guide on the LibrarySearch homepage. Click the tabs to read more about each topic. More user guides and videos will follow soon.
You can find LibrarySearch here. Please bookmark this link for future reference.
Let us know what you think! If you have feedback on LibrarySearch or discover any issues, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re really looking forward to talking to you all and showing you LibrarySearch in action during our classes, workshops and drop-ins!