Library Services are very excited to tell you all about our new EBSCO resource: CINAHL Plus with Full Text. This will be a key resource for those in both SHS and SET as it covers Nursing, Mental Health and Counselling, Nutrition and Dietetics, and much more!
What is CINAHL and what does it cover?
CINAHL is the Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health Literature.
CINAHL Plus with Full Text covers a wide range of topics including nursing, biomedicine, alternative/complementary medicine, consumer health and 17 allied health disciplines (includig Athletic Training, Nutrition and Dietetics, and Social Service in Health Care) This database also provides access to health care books, nursing dissertations, selected conference proceedings, standards of practice, audiovisuals, book chapters and more.
Where can I access CINAHL?
Some of you would have previously had access to CINAHL when out on placement via the NHS Knowledge Network Scotland – you had to use a separate Athens username and password. Now you don’t need to go via the Knowledge Network or have a different username and password to access CINAHL content! Just use the link above (available via the A-Z Online Resources) and log in with your network username and password.
All CINAHL Plus with Full Text content is available via LibrarySearch
Features and benefits of CINAHL Plus with Full Text
- Provides an easy-to-use interface with basic and advanced search features and searchable cited references
- Subject Headings help users effectively search and retrieve information and follow the structure of the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) used by the National Library of Medicine
- Provides full text for more than 700 journals dating as far back as 1937 (note: coverage varies for each title and some current full-text content is embargoed)
- Contains nearly 4.8 million records
- Offers indexing for more than 5,000 journals
- Includes searchable cited references for more than 1,400 journals
- Includes author affiliations
- Where full-text is not available in CINAHL, you can easily check availability in other Library resources and link straight through if available (or be taken to the ILL request service)
User Guides and Online Help
EBSCO have created comprehensive help guides for all CINAHL products including FAQs, search queries, and help with CINAHL Subject Headings.
For more help and information go here
If you prefer to watch a video, EBSCO have also created training videos on CINAHL products.
These tutorials demonstrate the basic and advanced searching features of the suite of CINAHL databases on EBSCOhost. Additional functionality available from the CINAHL Plus, CINAHL Plus with Full Text and CINAHL Complete databases is also included. Please note that the version subscribed to by the Library is CINAHL Plus with Full Text.
Understanding the Results Screen
If you have any queries about using CINAHL (or any other Library resource) please do let us know.